Growing up I was surrounded with the teachings of many great success coaches including Brian Tracy, Mike Vance and Zig Ziglar, to whom I attribute much of my success.
I learned very early in life that learning from those who have already accomplished what you strive for is the shortest and smartest path to success.
In addition to having a coach, the greatest learning opportunity available to all of us is attending live events. Even though I speak at training events all over the world all year long, I still find time to attend mastermind group meetings and business conferences.
My personal recommendation is to attend at least three training events a year. Whether you attend one of ours or another company’s (of course I hope you come to ours), taking the time to focus on your development is crucial to your success.
When you’re at a live event make sure to take full advantage of the time spent away from the office.
Here are the top five ways to master a real estate training event:
- First things first – Go – Attend all of the days, and stay until the end.
- Complete the workbook – You may think you’ve captured all the amazing information flowing your way, but three weeks later you’ll be kicking yourself for not writing down the seven trends shared, or the link to the website to get the slides, or the name of the panelist sharing a story very similar to your own.
- Network – Most events have a reception of some sort. Heck, they all have breaks. Use this time wisely. Meet others from your brokerage, your area or agents who are similar to you in other areas who you can learn from.
- Be prudent – Register early to take advantage of early bird pricing and secure your seat before the event sells out. Most of our events sell out months before they happen. Top producers start the year knowing which events they’re going to attend. They sign up and secure spots all in January.
- Go in with an open mind – If you walk into the event day one thinking “I wonder when they’re going to say something I don’t already know,” you’ve already done yourself a disservice. Many times, speakers cover techniques that are new and innovative, as well as techniques that are tried and true. The tried and true are a great reminder and may show you a different perspective of something you thought you already knew everything about.
When your mind says “I never have time to attend training events”, remember, the more you learn the more you earn. This is something I personally live by, believe in and am honored share with all of the Chicago Agent magazine readers.
Tom Ferry is a 26-year real estate industry veteran, has influenced over 500,000 professionals, is the best selling author of “Life! By Design” and was named the No. 1 real estate educator by Swanepoel Power 200. Ferry will be in Chicago on May 26, hosting a free, by-registration-only event dubbed 8x Your Business.