Niche, a website offering data, ratings and user reviews about schools, towns and neighborhoods, released its 2020 Best Schools rankings this week. One school in Georgia made it into the top 20 national public school rankings. The Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology ranked 13th on the rankings, which included an evaluation of over 94,000 K-12 educational institutions.
Niche differentiates its lists from traditional school rankings, which usually compare test scores and academic performance, by including user input (comments from current students, alumni, and parents) and analyses of campus life, extracurricular activities, the availability of special needs programs and diversity.
“Parents and students need more than test-score data. They need to understand what it’s really like to attend a school before they start the application or registration process,” said Luke Skurman, CEO at Niche, in a statement accompanying the release.
Data about schools often plays into the real estate process, a point not lost on Skurman. He noted that “choosing a school often is related to other big life decisions” and that this type of data offers “a great starting point for helping every family and every student find where they belong.”
Looking strictly at institutions in the Atlanta area, Fulton County took six of the top 10 spots on Niche’s local ranking. Below is a look at Niche’s top 10 area schools. For the full local list, click here.
1. Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology in Gwinnett County
2. Northview High School in Fulton County
3. Walton High School in Cobb County
4. Alpharetta High School in Fulton County
5. Lambert High School in Forsyth County
6. Chattahoochee High School in Fulton County
7. South Forsyth High School in Forsyth County
8. North Gwinnett High School in Gwinnett County
9. Johns Creek High School in Fulton County
10. Cambridge High School in Fulton County