Of the many remodeling projects available to homeowners, which ones add the most value to homes in the Atlanta area?
One of the undeniable perks of homeownership is the opportunity to renovate your living space, to remodel and craft a residence that truly reflects who you are.
With that said, though, not all remodeling projects are created equal, and some – especially in a unique marketplace like Atlanta’s – are more beneficial to your home’s value than others.
For some perspective on the matter, we consulted the Remodeling 2014 Cost vs. Value Report (www.costvsvalue.com), a massively detailed examination of not only the cost of home remodeling projects, but also the value they add to a home.
Using that report, we uncovered the most valuable remodeling projects in the Atlanta area, which are:
1. Steel Entry Door Replacement – The most valuable remodeling project in Atlanta is a steel entry door replacement, and we’ll admit, we were quite surprised at just how valuable a project it is. At an average cost of $1,148, steel door replacements recoup 141.80 percent of their cost in Atlanta, meaning they not only recoup their full cost, but also add value to the home; that’s far above the national average of 96.60 percent.
2. Deck Addition (Wood) – Though composite decks prove popular in areas with more adverse weather, wood is still the big moneymaker here in Atlanta. According to the report, wooden decks recoup 116.80 percent of their $9,531 cost, which is again far above the national average of 87.40 percent.
3. Fiberglass Entry Door Replacement – Is a client of yours considering a fiberglass door replacement, rather than a steel door? No problem! Coming in at No. 3, fiberglass doors recoup 99 percent of their $2,813, a sizable percentage more than the 70.80 percent nationwide.
4. Garage Door Replacement – Keeping with the theme of straightforward, cost-effective updates, a garage door replacement is very valuable to homes in Atlanta, recouping 94 percent of their $1,544 cost (compared to 83.70 percent nationwide).
5. Backup Power Generator – Finally, a backup power generator came in at No. 5, making up 84.8 percent of its $11,652 cost.
©2014 Hanley Wood, LLC. Complete data from the Remodeling 2014 Cost vs. Value Report can be downloaded free at www.costvsvalue.com.