As Atlanta’s population continues to boom, the suburbs are becoming a more attractive option for many – including millennials.
“Millennials continue to be the most active generation of buyers for five consecutive years now,” Bill Rawlings, senior vice president and managing broker of Atlanta Fine Homes Sotheby’s International Realty, said. “Contrary to popular belief, they are buying in the suburbs as opposed to in or near the city.”
Thrillist, in conjunction with the National Association of Realtors, picked out the best Atlanta suburbs for millennials.
- Smyrna – With a booming restaurant, bar and social scene, this suburb is close enough to downtown Atlanta that it is a great option who want to stay close to the city. Thrillist also highlights its 33 acres of parks and green space and Village Green, the multi-use community center.
- Avondale Estates/Scottdale – With around 14,000 residents total, these two neighboring suburbs provide annual festivals, an indoor international market with Your Dekalb Farmers Market, and kitschy finds like the Waffle House Museum.
- Brookhaven – This is a relatively new suburb to the Atlanta area, officially becoming its own city in 2012. Built around the Brookhaven Country Club, this DeKalb County city focuses on outdoor space for its residents, which includes the 50-acre Blackburn Park and the 135-acre Murphey Candler Park.
- Duluth – Thrillist highlights this major suburb for its significant immigrant community that has grown so much that many call an area of Pleasant Hill Road Koreatown, the Infinite Energy Center, which provides concerts and theatrical performances, and the downtown park Towne Green.
- Roswell – Roswell is the suburb for those who want more of a small-town feel within a bigger city, as it boasts nearly 95,000 residents. Roswell residents can take advantage of Canton Street, which offers local shops and restaurants, the historic district that includes an old cemetery and several cottages, Chattahoochee Nature Center, the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area and much more.