Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Annette Davis, a Realtor with Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties, for her tips on providing stellar customer service to buyers and sellers.
Customer service is an interesting business whether you are dealing with buyers or sellers. It is everybody’s aspiration to provide great customer service or at least it should be. However, there are so many different personalities and quite frankly some people can never be satisfied. As a Realtor, we strive for the highest level of service because it comes back to us in the form of multiple referrals.
There are about 10 points I can make on improving or maintaining stellar customer service.
10. Read “Raving Fans” by Ken Blanchard. This is a good footprint to success.
9. Zip your lip and put on your LISTENING ears. Their thoughts are important.
8. Follow the clients’ direction and only provide direction when asked. Do not make the client feel you pushing anything price, place, etc.
7. Help the client understand that your goal is to have a “Smooth Transaction” start to finish.
6. Communication is the key to a smooth transaction:
- Buyers – Stay on top of every facet of the deal, loan approval, inspection, and Appraisal as things progress. Call the client weekly to make sure all information has been provided. Many first time buyers are like a “deer in headlights” when it comes to knowing what to do.
- Sellers – Need weekly updates on showings and feedback until contract comes in and then they need the same information as the buyer.
5. Be available to help clients understand the process particularly if they relocating from another area. Put their number in your phone and answer the phone before it goes to voice mail.
4. Day of Closing arrives – Review paperwork in detail and leave nothing in question with your client. Prepare them for getting to the closing, wiring funds, getting receipts needed. You want everyone to get up from closing table with smiles.
3. Your real service starts after the transaction is complete. Visit on moving day, bring drinks and snacks, paper towels and plastic bags. They will most likely want names of vendors so prepare a vendor book to give them to have on hand. Send them a hand written note expressing your gratitude.
2. Good customer service means making a friend for life and doing things for them as you would your on family will be a winner.
1. Follow-up first week, first month and then at regular intervals. On first birthday send them a birthday card with annual comps to help them see how their value stands.
Those things, a big smile and a positive attitude will create “A Raving Fan” and a multitude of referrals in the years to come.
Annette Davis is the lead Realtor for the Annette Davis Team with Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Georgia Properties. A graduate of Emory University, Annette and her team have numerous designations, including Certified Marketing Specialist (CMS); Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR); Certified Skilled Negotiator (CSN); and Senior Corporated Relocation Specialist (RS).