Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Tonya Marlatt, an associate broker with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in the Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward markets, for her ways to make sure you’re providing stellar customer service.
5. Be Responsive – This is a fast-paced world, and our industry is no exception. Technology gives us more flexibility, but also means we are expected to be “in touch” more than ever. Inventory levels are historically low, and the sense of urgency means we need to be responsive to clients and agents in the timeliest manner possible.
4. Be an Expert – The best way to serve a client is to know everything about your market! Know your listing inventory intimately; know the area comps and be ready to quote them at the drop of a hat; know interest rate trends; and know your fellow agents!
3. Be Engaged – This is a huge purchase/sale for your client. Stand next to them through the negotiation, inspection, lending process, appraisal, potential hiccups and closing. Don’t be the agent who is “too busy.” Be your client’s partner, not just their agent!
2. Be a Technology Advocate – Stop fighting it and get on board. Texting, email, video and social media is all here to stay! And, there is much more to come. So, commit to staying on top of what is new and advantageous: read the daily emails; sit in on webinars; and attend conferences. You will discover new opportunities that will help you become more successful and benefit your clients.
1. Be a Steward of the Industry – Treat your fellow agents as a partner. In most cases, it will take both of you to get the deal done. Be responsive, cordial and helpful. Assist however you can. Forging great relationships with other agents will give you a leg up when you have a new listing and a database of agents. Or, perhaps you want to be the first to know about a new listing before it goes into the MLS. Either way, our business is more about who you know than ever before!
Tonya Marlatt is an associate broker with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in the Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward markets. Tonya has called Atlanta home since 1993, and as a trained real estate professional, her expertise includes the marketing and sales of homes and assisting buyers with finding their perfect home.