Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Mike Prewett, the president of Century 21 Connect Realty in Atlanta, about the five habits of highly successful agents.
5. They have written goals. Having goals that are critically important to you will help keep you on track when distractions arise or you have moments when motivation is lacking. Putting your goals in writing and reviewing them daily helps the highly productive agent stay focused and determined.
4. A written business plan. Maybe one of the most overlooked fundamentals by agents. Remember the old saying…”a goal without a plan is just a dream.” After committing to your goals in writing, create a written plan of action on how you will achieve those goals. Be specific. Review your plan at least weekly.
3. Create a daily schedule that accounts for all waking hours. A critical activity that allows highly successful agents to create a healthy balance between life & work. An effective schedule incorporates all facets of your life and allocates sufficient time in all areas. It will remind you when you are off track and it will help you refocus on the activities that you have chosen as your priority. Your schedule should be a reflection of the goals you have set for yourself, the business plan you have developed, and the priorities in your life. It is the key to running a highly successful real estate business and living a balanced life.
2. Invest in yourself. All highly successful agents spend large amounts of time & money investing in themselves through training, education, coaching & mentoring programs. It is the mark of a great agent. Top agents understand that the must be prepared when opportunity presents itself. After all, if you don’t invest in yourself…why should anyone else?
1. Prospect daily. There are dozens of different prospecting methods…Top agents understand that the business of real estate revolves around daily effective prospecting and they place it as a priority in their daily schedules. To grow a consistent, healthy business that avoids the “roller coaster” ride many agents take, build a daily routine of prospecting and enjoy the benefits that habit provides.
After more than 28 years and over 10,000 sold homes, I now enjoy my new role at Century 21 Connect Realty coaching and mentoring our agents on to higher and higher production levels while maintaining a very healthy work/life balance.
Mike Prewett is the president of Century 21 Connect Realty in Atlanta, and before that was the president of Southern REO Associates, a full-service provider that covers more than 246 ZIP codes and 23 counties in Georgia, and sold more than 13,000 properties. A vendor approved real estate brokerage, Southern REO worked with more than 90 clients including Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, HUD, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase, HSBC, Suntrust, NationStar and RBC.